Monday, June 09, 2008

TENNIS

A game of balls and racket that amused me ever since I was a kid. What I can't believe it has taken me so long to realise that I can actually start learning it. It took one long distance call, gyan session from Krish and some practical LIFE realisation that made me move my lazy ass. A simple conversation…

K: Dude… you need to play some sport. I make sure I hit the nets every Saturday to flex my shoulders and play cricket.

D: I know. I want to play some sport too. I just don't know what to play.

K: What do you like playing?

D: I always wanted to play tennis.

K: Then WHY are you not playing?

D: Cause appa never bought me a racket.

K: DUDE… you are freaking EARNING... cant you buy one for yourself now? Why should appa buy you one? Get one yourself!!!

D: Actually ya… I think I will go get one.

Next stop, INDIRAPARK. Got hold of the coach and asked him what I should do to learn tennis. Do you have the moolah?? It is amazing what a nod of head can do. The coach asked me to come the next morning and said he would arrange for the racket and all.

It was a feeling that you just cannot describe. It is to know that you will be doing something you always wanted to do as a kid. Man… it was extremely satisfying.

And that's how; yours truly is now knocking a few balls around the court yard now. It took some time to realise that this is not cricket. There are no sixers in tennis. It's been a week since I joined (Bunked 3 classes already… it's really hard to get up at 6 when you are used to start sleeping at that time) and I am managing to keep the ball inside the court. Well, that is not easy when you have spent 22 years trying to hit the ball out of the stadium and suddenly you need to bounce it inside the court.

No comments: