Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The Great Marathon!!!

"Run, run, run, till you fall dead." That was the key word today morning. "Protect the nature, prevent tsunami" was the caption. It was my college's annual event "THE GREAT MARATHON". It spreads through a distance of 10km. Its starts from my favorite movie theater.... The "maplai vinayagar theater" (the only theater in madurai to show English and Hindi movies!!) all the way to my college ground. The day started of pretty early (considering the fact that I usually get up by 8) when I got up at 0430hrs. I had about a dozen people waking me up right from 0400hrs. My roommate Kumar got so pissed of that even he joined the marathon because he had lost his sleep (I should be made the head of promo). About 850 boys and 300+ non-males (as I call it... cause they don't qualify to be called gals) had turned up. The fact that they were giving free t-shirts had attracted a huge crowd. The non-males were given caps and had just 4km to run. As there were only 400 t-shirts available for taking.... it was given in the order of seniority and it ends up that none of the 2nd years from my department get a t-shirt. (Although Kumar got one... it looked as if he was wearing a kurtha!!! he is a skinny, small guy!!) So he gave his to another of my friend heament... who is quite the opposite. So I started off the marathon at 0630hrs. Did start with some boost and enthusiasm which died down pretty quickly and it was down to business. I tried concentrating hard on my running and apply all the tips learnt from the NCC camp attended in secunderabad. It reminded me of Lt. DESHPANDE who used to train us in physical fitness.... he is on big son of a b****. He used to make it hell for us by making us RUN (not jog) about 7km everyday. Anyway back to marathon, I did manage to keep my cool and ended up a cool 69th(nice number eh!!!) place. But then if only I had not slowed down drastically in the middle segment, I would have bagged a better position. Did check out a lot of my class non-males who were stareing at me cause I was running with shorts (unlike hyd, people don't roam around with shorts here) and was doing a good job by running fast and giving them that "whoosh of wind" as I passed them. It was as if a bike traveling at 200kmph had just passed by!!! Did manage a lot of turn-arounds!!! Completed my run by 0730hrs. I was half dead and my calf muscles were killing me. Came back to the room and was into deep slumber within no time.

Got up in time for the lab. This part is very interesting. " I got humiliated again in lab" but only this time it didn't make a difference to me. I just told the prof "talk to the hand". Will elaborate more on MR. MANSOOR ROOMI, head of image processing lab, and unfortunately my lab in charge. Just because I had pasted a Xerox of a simulation (using PSIPCE) he gave a 20min long lecture, thoroughly humiliating just to receive an "I don't care a daam" look on my face. The day ended by having a nice chat with a group of guys from my class over a hot cup of tea in the canteen.

No comments: